Federal Office of Topography swisstopo
“It is our task to provide tools so that our data is accessible to the public as simply and free of charge as possible. We do this with the swisstopo app in a contemporary, user-friendly and convincing way.”
Dr. Fridolin Wicki, Director, Federal Department of Defence, Civil Protection and Sport, Federal Office of Topography swisstopo
Swiss National Maps and other federal geodata can now be easily accessed free-of-charge via mobile devices thanks to the award-winning swisstopo app.
The app, which has already recorded over one million downloads, increases awareness and useability of swisstopo data by providing quality, reliable geographical information free of charge and without the need to provide login information.
Since the go-live in summer 2020, many new contents and functions have been added and the app has already recorded over one million downloads and was named ‘Master of Swiss Apps 2021’. Besides all National Maps, aerial photographs, aeronautical maps and historical maps,
the app also shows additional information relating to public transport, hiking, cycling, snow sports and aviation and includes planning, guidance or tracking functions, a panorama mode (virtual and augmented reality), search and positioning.
Developed with the external partner Ubique Innovation AG, it provides a future-proof tool for a high level of mobile usability of swisstopo’s National Maps and geodata. With the corresponding Open Source Software Development Kit ‘Open Swiss Maps’, which was launched with the introduction of Open Government Data, it is also possible for third parties to easily integrate swisstopo data and basic functions in their own app.
- Enables easy public access to Swiss National Maps and other federal geodata via mobile devices.
- Reliably provides consistent quality geographical information throughout Switzerland without interest, free of advertising and without the need to provide login information.
- Increases the awareness and usability of swisstopo data.
- Provides all data and functions free of charge and with unlimited use.
- Allows maps and data to be stored free of charge, without restriction and used offline. This means that the maps can be used even if mobile network coverage is poor or non-existent.
- Offers both simple operation and display of National Maps for general orientation as well as complex content and functions for use by professionals.
- The Open Source Software Development Kit ‘Open Swiss Maps’ creates a basis for easily integrating swisstopo maps, geodata and functions into other apps. For developers, everything is documented on GitHub. www.swisstopo.ch/sdk