State Service of Ukraine for Geodesy, Cartography and Cadastre
“The main state topographic map scale 1:50 000 and access to it on NSDI pilot project geoportal will provide a single digital topographic base in Ukraine and in the future will allow to use it as a source of output data at the national, regional, and local levels. We are also convinced in the crucial role of local governments and central executive bodies in ensuring the development of geospatial data in Ukraine. The StateGeoCadastre is making every effort to accelerate this irreversible process”.
Sergii Zavadskyi, Acting Chairman, State Service of Ukraine for Geodesy, Cartography and Cadastre
Users of geospatial information in Ukraine are benefitting from updated 1:50 000 scale digital topographic maps and a new national database for topographic data.
Delivered as part of the ‘Maps for Good Land Governance’ project in cooperation with the Norwegian Mapping Authority, the main state topographic map was developed in close cooperation between the StateGeoСadastre, the State Enterprise ‘Research Institute of Geodesy and Cartography’, the State Enterprise ‘Ukrainian State Aerogeodesic Enterpris’, the Central Department of Military Topography and Navigation of the Armed Forces of Ukraine with the participation of other private enterprises.
The Quality Control Commission was established for adopting map sheets, with 1,288 nomenclature sheets for an area of 436,135 km2 accepted. To ensure automated quality control of the updated digital maps, a ‘validate’ tool, comprising a software package and geoportal of the project monitoring and support system, were created.
- Provides a single cartographic basis for use by all geospatial data holders.
- Provides amalgamated territorial communities with the official source of topographic data.
- Promotes the creation of geospatial datasets and their integration into the national spatial data infrastructure (NSDI).
- Provides an accessible service for geospatial data, that is free and open to anyone.
- Provides a beneficial tool for the development and maintenance of railways, highways, networks of main and distribution gas pipelines, main oil pipelines, detection of radio frequency zones.
- Provides an information resource for the Public Cadastral Map, State Geological Map, State Geodetic Network and Catalogue of Administrative Units of Ukraine.
- Strengthens the country’s defence capabilities.
- Provides an essential tool for urban planning and development documentation.