State Authority for Geospatial Information
“About 80% of Central and Local Government decision-making directly affects the territory and having digital topographic maps helps tremendously in the planning, development and monitoring activities of many institutions in Albania.”
Lorenc Çala, General Director, State Authority for Geospatial Information
Albania’s State Authority for Geospatial Information (ASIG) has delivered a new topographic map to support sustainable land development in the Tirana-Durrës Area. Covering around about 300 km2, the 1:2 000 scale digital map was part of a major project conducted with the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
The training and technology transfer has increased ASIG’s capabilities for photogrammetry, accuracy and quality management, as well encouraging the use of geospatial information in the infrastructural and social development of the country.
All central and local public authorities that base their activity on geospatial information, such as ASIG, the public authorities responsible for geoinformation topics, municipalities and any other central and local institution that needs to use topographic maps, are benefitting from the data.
Following the completion of the project, Geospatial Information for Sustainable Land Development in the Tirana-Durres area in Republic of Albania, ASIG has started the preparation of the 1:2 000 scale base map into the western part of Albania.
- Supports the development of the country’s infrastructure based on the general development plan of Albania.
- Contributes to the implementation of development plans, feasibility studies, detailed projects, as well as environmental protection.
- Improves sustainable development in the context of economic growth, social infrastructure and living standards.
- Helps to understand the current situation and analyse trends for: geographical features of the terrain, condition of infrastructure, condition of properties, general conditions along the coastal area and developments in urban areas.
- Helps in rapid urbanisaton of areas with irregular development due to demographic movement and rapid population growth in recent years in the Tirana-Durrës area.
- Promotes product use by government agencies, business companies and citizens.
- Provides analysis for gradual changes over time.
- Enables cartographic generalisation of maps, for example 1:5 000 and 1:10 000 scale, using the 1:2 000 scale topographic urban map.